Temple of the Tooth
Sri Dalada Maligawa or the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic is a Buddhist temple in the city of Kandy, Sri Lanka. It is located in the royal palace complex of the former Kingdom of Kandy, which houses the relic of the tooth of the Buddha
Peradeniya Botanical Garden
Peradeniya Botanical Gardens which was first built as a pleasure garden by a Sinhala King and was expanded by the British. It is 147 acres in extent and provides an amazing variety of trees, plants and flowers.
Lankatilaka Vihara (Temple)
Lankatilaka Vihara is situated at the top of the hill in the Kandyan Kingdom where we find its inscription by King Bhuvanekabahu the fourth (1347 AD) & King Vickramabahu the third (1351 AD) narrating the construction of this temple. A long magnificent flight of steps cutting the rock takes us to the temple. The view from the summit that is glorious with tea plantations & surrounding hills brought closer to the sight. According to the legend, when a monk reported the sight of a golden bowl floating on the surface of a nearby reservoir, the King took it as an auspicious sign & wasted no time in having the temple built close to the reservoir.
Gadaladeniya, a temple complex atop a rock outcrop, was built during the reign of Bhuvanekabahu the fourth in 1351 AD. The brick superstructure, shaped like a stupa, has an octagonal base. The inscriptions on the rock by Buddhist monk Dharmakirti date the temple to 1344 AD.
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage
Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage is an orphanage, nursery and captive breeding ground for wild Asian elephants located at Pinnawala village, 13 km (8.1 mi) northeast of Kegalle town in Sabaragamuwa Province of Sri Lanka. Pinnawala is notable for having the largest herd of captive elephants in the world. In 2011, there were 88 elephants, including 89 males and 51 females from 3 generations, living in Pinnawala.
The Galmaduwa viharaya is an impressive building of strange architecture. As its local name suggests, it is basically a pavilion built of stone and brick. But a high gopuram gives it a Hindu identity. There is an ad mixture of Tamil-Hindu influence within the Buddhist place of worship.
Degaldoruwa Cave Temple with Wall Paintings
The Degaldoruwa Temple was built in 1771 AD by King Rajadi Rajasinha and was initiated during the rein of his elder brother King Kirti Sri Rajasinha [1747-1782 AD].This is considered as a Cave Temple with Kandyan era Paintings and Architecture.
The temple had been built at a place where two rocks were touching each other from above and below.The rock mass has a height of about 40 feet. A Cave had been made by breaking the rocks large enough to accomodate the Shrine Room of the Buddha and an area leading to the Shrine Room. The paintings at the temple were the work of four painters. These paintings are recognized as some of the best examples of the Kandyan era paintings. Four " Jathaka Stories " are drawn at this cave temple of which one is the famous Vessantara Jathaka story